Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Week of 3/19 - 3/25


Had a great week running wise and I would guess what highlighted this week was the unseasonable warm weather.  Had some runs that had temperatures in the high 60s and it felt like late May.  As I write this post (3/26) we are back down to the 30's. Thanks!

In terms of training this week there are 3 days that really stand out.  On Thursday Chris C. and I did repeats up the access road, 4 up 4 down.  We started at the reservation head quarters to get a good warm up in.  Repeats were definitely fun to do with Chris. C I appreciate his "great" mentoring.  We finished the day with a little over 10 miles.

Saturday had a great 10 mile run with two speed laps around Ponk with Chris C.  Another "great" mentoring session.  I was dropped after the first lap, went out too fast but, I am learning from "greatness" himself.

Sunday was another miserable, I mean great day to be hiking.  It rained on Chris C. and I for over 8 hours. We did Franconia Ridge, came down to refuel on some food, warm our bones and then head up to Cannon via the Hi-Cannon trail, which Chris C. coined "worst trail ever", demerit was received for complaining.  The conditions on Sunday consisted of slick rock, bullet proof mono-rail that only required micro-spikes.  There was no sign of snow on Franconia Ridge.  Because of the rain and wind, I would guess windchill was below 32 as there was a thin ice layer forming on the rocks and our gear which was soaked.  See picture below.  Hands were a major issue both of us lost ours at various times.  Dexterity was completely lost and the sense of being able to feel anything with your hands as well.




Sunday Chris C. and I did a nice 8/9 mile run on the XC Ski trails near Loon.  We had blowing snow and wind but sunny.  The trails were in relatively good shape, soft in spots from clear drainage routes as well as shoe sucking mud.  Neither of us lost our trail runners but it could easily happen.

All and all it was a good week.  Thanks to Chris C. for letting me stay up at his condo for a March training camp, his mentoring on consumption of Tostitos, desire to eat at Subway for lunch, "subway for lunch?" and eating all my lunch on the way home like a chipmunk, THANKS, I will starve!

Totals for the week:

57.12 miles of combined trail running and hiking
9406 feet of vertical
14 hours 14 minutes time on feet

1 comment: