Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Back to the Mountains

I was able to get back to the mountains after the VT 100.  I took a solid week off then started to do some flat running again and decided that I would give the Franconia Ridge Speed Loop a crack, which was 3 weeks after VT 100.  The conditions were not ideal as there was some rain from the night before, humidity was super high and things were slick.  I stayed over at Casa de Cappellini the night before, thank you again for the hospitality.

I met MadDog and Mutha in the parking lot and it was more of a greet and split.  I have done this loop many times and know it quite well.  In my head I wanted to go under 2:30, I was not sure how my legs would react 3 weeks after VT 100.

I know that the ascent up Falling Waters really does suck and with things being wet the footing with the rocks and roots would not be that great.

Once on Haystack the route is straight forward to Lafayette and the descent off Lafayette above treeline has alot of rock. 

Once below treeline on OBP the top section has alot of rock crops and things can be crowded with people ascending.  The rocks were definitely an issue as I did not have good grip on the open rock crops.  Once below the sisters I was able to open it up more.

Here is a link to my time, I think I could bite another 5 minutes off this time in the future with more rest.

Aftermath of this was manual labor and a wrestling match with a toilet at Casa de Cappellini.

No comments:

Post a Comment